To make the perfect batch of Kraft boxed mac & cheese…FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!
I made the kids some mac & cheese today. Here’s how it turned out:
- Don’t overcook the pasta….FAIL! (I got sidetracked doing a scrapbook page and let it cook to the bottom of the pot)
- Use the correct amount of butter…FAIL! (I didn’t feel like wasting my good real butter so I just tossed in a big spoonful of vegetable spread)
- Use the correct amount of milk…FAIL! (I never measure the milk)
Not that the kids care or anything. They still ate it and said it was good. I even ate some of the leftovers. It wasn’t bad but it wasn’t great either.
Of course, now when I want to make really good mac & cheese I do it from scratch. My dad gave me the recipe. It’s simple, fool proof almost…almost.
- 1 16oz box of pasta, cooked (not overcooked!)
- 1/2 brick of Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 package of skinless smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 TBSP milk
Here’s the super simple part: Mix all ingredients and put into large baking pan or casserole dishes. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes, stir, bake another 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
See, simple, and oh so delicious.