Finished this yesterday after working on it the night before, too. Yet another picture from our block party on the 30th. I was scanning through all the shots looking for something to scrap. This is my method. If I try and pick a certain event to scrap ahead of time I never finish the layout. I have to have a layout idea first and then just go through all the pictures looking for something to jump out at me.
This picture caught my eye. There were a bunch of others of my daughter dancing and running and playing with her friends but this one, off center, her face cut out was the one that yelled, “pick me, scrap me!”
I messed around for awhile with the brightness and stuff. I made several copies and layered them with different blending modes until I got to something I liked. and I really liked the fact that her butterfly tattoo was just visible at the bottom (she still has that tattoo two weeks later).
The rest of the design comes from a challenge at thedigichick.com. The challenge was a “blind scraplift” where the page we were lifting was described but never shown. I had a lot of fun with it and really struggled to finish the challenge (hence why I worked on it for 2 days). The problem I ran into is that I fell in love with the photo, background paper and journaling but when I got the part of the challenge that had my put the strips of paper in I couldn’t do it. It just didn’t work for me.
I almost gave up and tried a different picture (something simpler, easier to scrap) but I just loved what I had and really didn’t want to start over. FINALLY, I forced myself to put those paper strips in and then stared at it for almost an hour. I added the star flourish (which wasn’t part of the challenge) to pull things together and go with the journaling (that she is like a falling star) and then I added the paper circle and star to the corner. That also wasn’t in the challenge but I needed something else.
In the end I like it. And since it is digital if later I don’t like it anymore I can always change it. I love digital scrapping.
I also am so proud that I made the torn edge look on my strips all by myself. I was just playing around and figured it out. I started by erasing a little of the edges. I’ve been doing that lately to make them look more “organic” like they were cut by hand. Then, just because I was bored, I tried a brush on the edge. It was one of the preset dry brushes in PSE and after fiddling with the opacity and scatter a bit I was able to get the look like the edges were torn. I am just so proud of myself.
I also was able to make the title look like the stitching through it was holding it down (sort of) by using the burn tool along the stitches. Before it looked like the stitching was just hovering over the paper and was silly. It’s not perfect but looks much better like this (trust me). I also added an adjustment layer over the entire layout to mute the colors a bit. I think it was a “warming” filter. I then erased over the photo because I didn’t want that changed, just the papers in the background. The bird and some of the other elements are on top of the filter layer because I also didn’t want them muted.